Saturday, November 10, 2007

Give windows a “bash”

How many of us, who love the power of command line feel handicapped when it comes to windows, with its pathetic cmd.exe or command.exe, I was missing the auto-completion, multiple tabs, and most importantly the commands, pipes, redirection, tee, I am not sure of the windows equivalents of these, so I was looking for some way to Linux-ify my widows.

Being a TA required me to compile few softwares for windows (skyeye, softgun, arm-elf-gprof etc...), so I had to choose between MinGW and Cygwin, first I started with MinGW and found it quite inadequate, since Cygwin gives a complete Linux environment, I settled for it, but I still miss the tabbed terminals, I was searching for “tabbed command prompt” in google and found a few links but none were open source, some how I stumbled upon a blog where they have mentioned about Console2, an open source one currently under development, so I downloaded it and am pretty happy about it, now i'll give a step by step procedure how I got a almost working gnome-terminal(or Konsole) alike...

  • download and install cygwin
  • download and extract console2
  • open console2
  • press ctrl+s to bring settings dialog
  • go to tabs option, click add change title to you something you want, select cygwin.bat from CYGWIN_HOME, press ok
  • now if you want a cygwin terminal press ctrl+f2 (assuming the cygwin appears below console2)
If you dont want cygwin then you can use gnuwin32 package, and add its wbin folder to path and just use console2 with all the power of unix

Console2: http://sourceforge.net/projects/console

Blogged with Flock

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dei I am not sure... It was like saravana bhava(that ajakku who took oops) class.. I cud not understand anything.. But really appreciate your effort man..